It was a cold and snowy day just like in January 1945 when the extermination camp was liberated. Survivors of Auschwitz-Birkanau joined world dignitaries at the former Nazi concentration camp to mark the 65th anniversary. For most it is probably the last time they will gather at the place where more than a million people, mostly Jews, were sent to their deaths.
“This reminds me of all the past, these are sad memories”, said one survivor, Mathilde Cohen. “I left the whole family here, I alone survived. The entire family, my father, my mother, my grandmother, my grandfather, they all died here.”
A special ceremony was held in memory of the victims. The Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu told those present that there were again threats to exterminate the Jewish people.
He meant Iran, whose president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been compared to Hitler by the World Jewish Congress.
Moshe Kantor, President of the European Jewish Congress said: “Holocaust teaches us that European policy of apaisement towards fanatic regimes and leaders who threaten the world harmony and abuse their own people is bound to fail.”
Jewish groups are addressing the question of how to keep the memory of the Holocaust alive after the last survivors die. They have called for more commemorative events, and say the crime should always be made relevant to the modern world situation.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:55 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China