25/01/10 14:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Food aid on a significant scale has finally arrived in one of Haiti’s largest slums, nearly two weeks after the Caribbean country’s devastating earthquake.
US soldiers and Brazilian UN troops have been handing out food and water in the gang-ridden Cite Soleil neighbourhood of the capital Port-au-Prince.
“We believe that the troops that arrive will enhance our capacity to distribute food, enhance our capacity to provide logistics and support along with our partners,” said UN Force Commander, Major General Floriano Peixoto.
As for cash help, the EU has pledged more than 420 million euros while the US has given over 80 million. Japan is set to announce a contribution of 49 million euros at a gathering of Haiti’s main creditors in the Canadian city of Montreal today.
No-one is any doubt about the desperate need. In Port au Prince alone, more than 150,000 people are believed dead. Now though the focus is on helping survivors and guaranteeing Haiti’s long-term reconstruction.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 17:54 CET Florence fines Uffizi Gallery director for ticket tout warning
- 17:03 CET Five jailed for life in Uganda for al Shabaab World Cup bombings
- 16:52 CET Thai queen undergoes medical tests, palace says in rare statement
- 16:46 CET Freed by Russia, Ukraine’s ‘Joan of Arc’ may prove thorn in own…
- 16:34 CET Europe steps up North Korea sanctions with oil, finance bans
- 16:24 CET Russia says U.S. ‘delays’ with joint Syria action may hit peace…
- 16:20 CET South Africa to review spending on luxury vehicles for Zuma’s wives
- 16:06 CET Syrian president denies media report of new Russian-drafted…