Europe is to send special police to Haiti to help with the relief operations. The collective contribution will amount to some 350 gendarmes.
The contingent will be built around the European Gendarmerie Force, which has six member countries – France, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Romania.
Miguel Ángel Moratinos, the Foreign Minister for Spain, currently holding the European Union’s rotating presidency, said: “Together we’ll represent the EU in guaranteeing security and above all in guaranteeing the arrival of humanitarian aid the Haitians need.”
At a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Brussels, Britain opposed the gendarme idea, arguing that the United States — with its thousand of troops in Haiti — had more than enough personnel to provide for security needs in the fallout of the quake. The biggest contributors will be France and Italy.
The European gendarmes will reinforce the Brazilian-led United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti. It has been active there since 2004, attempting to impose control over armed gangs. A spokesman said security after the earthquake was largely “under control”.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > News
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 14:19 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777