As more earthquake survivors get their hands on much-needed aid, international donors have been urged to support Haiti for at least five to ten years.
The plea comes from the crippled country’s Prime Minister, attending an emergency conference of Haiti’s creditors aimed at plotting a way forward.
Prior to the meeting in Montreal, the EU had already pledged more than 420 million euros while the US has given over 80 million. Japan, itself one of the world’s most quake-prone nations, is upping its contribution to 49 million euros.
As debt relief and reconstruction strategies were discussed in the Canadian city, Haiti’s Premier Jean-Max Bellerive said his government could still provide leadership.
“We must think about relocating part of the population, redeploying public services and economic structures differently to take account of the physical and environmental constraints from a sustainable development point of view,” he said.
“To achieve that, Haiti needs massive support from its international partners in the medium and long term. The scale of the task demands that we do more, that we do better and, no doubt, that we do it differently.”
It is thought up to 200,000 people died in the earthquake on January 12 that left Port au Prince in ruins.