23/01/10 09:01 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Despite days trapped under rubble in searing heat, rescue teams are still pulling people out alive from beneath the concrete of Port-au-Prince.
An Israeli relief team managed to bring out a 22-year-old man suffering from dehydration.
Earlier an 84-year-old woman was saved from certain death after being retrieved from a wrecked building.
The doctor who treated her said she had wounds all over her body and was barely alive, but she has since been stabilised.
However, things are ever so slightly returning to normal and rebuilding work is already underway in the shattered capital.
Some supermarkets and shops are opening for business and banks have started operating again, allowing Haitians access to cash for the first time since the disaster.
According to Haitian authorities 111,000 people are now known to have been killed in the earthquake with 190,000 injured.
The number of homeless stands at 1.5 million.
It is expected that the number of dead will reach 200,000.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 5Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
‘Save our planet’ say demonstrators worldwide on eve of UN climate summit
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
Wires > News
- 20:03 CET Israel suspends EU role in peace process with Palestinians
- 19:48 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 19:47 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 19:36 CET Colorado shooting suspect said ‘no more baby parts’ -reports
- 19:29 CET Russian air strikes kill at least 30 in stepped up raids in…
- 18:47 CET From penguins to Pope’s shoes, climate rallies pressure U.N. summit
- 17:12 CET Declaring a new start, EU and Turkey set to sign migration deal
- 17:11 CET French minister condemns social exclusion of young Muslims