The massive earthquake which struck Haiti last week is just the latest disaster to befall the Caribbean nation. Battered and bruised from both natural and political turmoil, once again Haitians will have to rebuild their lives.
But one man believes it is time for a radical solution. Senegal’s President Abdoulaye Wade has suggested a resettlement plan somewhere in Africa.
President of Senegal, Abdoulaye Wade explained to Euronews: “Take the case of Liberia, the Afro-Americans were transplanted there. Today those people are successfully integrated with the other African peoples, because they’re of African origin anyway, and they had originally been sent to the America’s against their will. So, it’s not really so extraordinary to transplant those who want, to find a piece of land somewhere in Africa, and, with the help of the international community, to create a city, and perhaps a whole country.”
A spokesperson for the president also told Euronews that if a region was found in Senegal, it would be in a fertile part of the country, although nothing official has been said about the costs of such a plan.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > News
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 14:19 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777