It might be one of the world’s poorest areas, besieged by its neighbour Israel, but Palestinians living in the Gaza Strip have been donating what little they have to help those struck by the earthquake in Haiti.
Among the donations collected by a Red Cross representative: toys, toiletries and sweets – small luxuries that Gazans know only too well can brighten spirits in the face of devastation. Some also gave money.
Dr Jamal Khudari, from the Palestinian Committee against the Siege said: “It’s a symbolic donation for the people of Haiti, for the children of Haiti, to tell them that we feel the suffering.”
There are ruins in the Gaza Strip reminiscent of the scenes in Haiti. These were not caused by a natural disaster, but by bombs and shells in Israel’s deadly assault on Gaza, which drew to a close a year ago. Israel blamed attacks by militants for sparking the offensive.
The reason for the destruction might be different, but Palestinians say they understand Haiti’s pain.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 14:14 CET Air France shirt-ripper trial postponed
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…