The struggle for survival is becoming a race against time for some desperate Haitians.
Widespread looting has broken out as the needy await the arrival of food and medical supplies.
Some people have set up roadblocks with corpses in some parts of Port-au-Prince, in protest at the failure of aid to get through.
The rescue effort has been held up by earthquake-wrecked facilities and heavy machinery at airports and docks and on the streets. It is becoming all too clear that time is rapidly running out.
With the full extent of the destruction still to emerge, the Haitian Red Cross says it believes up to 50,000 people have died and more than three million others – a third of the country’s population – have been hurt or left homeless.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:28 CET EU’s Juncker survives no confidence vote in EU parliament
- 12:26 CET New parliament coalition proposes Yatseniuk stays on as PM
- 12:25 CET Suicide bomber kills five in attack on British embassy car in…
- 12:15 CET Iran Supreme Leader says not opposed to extension of nuclear talks
- 12:08 CET South Asia summit salvaged after handshake by leaders of India…
- 12:05 CET Greece tows migrant-packed ship to safety off Crete
- 12:03 CET Suspects face French trial for hit-and-run death of Israeli woman
- 11:50 CET Aim of sanctions not to bash Russian economy – German foreign…