The struggle for survival is becoming a race against time for some desperate Haitians.
Widespread looting has broken out as the needy await the arrival of food and medical supplies.
Some people have set up roadblocks with corpses in some parts of Port-au-Prince, in protest at the failure of aid to get through.
The rescue effort has been held up by earthquake-wrecked facilities and heavy machinery at airports and docks and on the streets. It is becoming all too clear that time is rapidly running out.
With the full extent of the destruction still to emerge, the Haitian Red Cross says it believes up to 50,000 people have died and more than three million others – a third of the country’s population – have been hurt or left homeless.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 04:44 CET Honduras stages biggest march yet to demand president step down
- 04:12 CET Panama top court approves third probe against ex-president…
- 02:44 CET Guatemala Congress committee recommends ending Perez’s immunity
- 02:22 CET Pilot killed in Colorado crash of medical transport helicopter
- 01:41 CET France’s Hollande says ready to hold new summit on Boko Haram
- 00:35 CET Yemen’s Houthis attack Saudi Arabia’s Najran and Jizan
- 00:19 CET At least 25 Syrian al Qaeda members dead in mosque blast in…
- 00:15 CET Rockets land in Israel, Egypt’s IS affiliate claims responsibility