Now Reading:

Uncertainty surrounds Togo's participation in the African Cup of Nations

world news

Uncertainty surrounds Togo's participation in the African Cup of Nations


The African Cup of Nations gets underway in Angola today with confusion surrounding whether or not Togo will take part.

Following Friday’s bloodshed, when the team coach was ambushed by gunmen in Cabinda, the Togolese government pulled the team out of the tournament.

However, it appears that the players want to play on in memory of those who died.

One of those seriously injured, goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale, is in South Africa where he is being treated for his wounds.

Doctor Richard Friedland gave an update on the players condition:

“He has suffered two gunshot wounds to the lower back. He is conscious and in a stable condition. He has been well looked after by our Angolan colleagues and is currently being looked after by the trauma team.”

Media officer Stanislas Ocloo and assistant coach Amalete Abalo where killed in the carnage that lasted around 30 minutes.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter says the competiton will go ahead:

“Don’t forget that we have organised last year three competitions in Africa with no incidents. We’ve been in Egypt, we’ve been in Nigeria, we’ve been in South Africa, so therefore there is also hope that football is stronger than any attack and that’s why the CAN, the African Cup of Nations, must go on.”

Those suspected of the killings, the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda, issued a chilling threat that further violence is to be expected and plans to destroy the tournament have only just begun.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article