The European cold snap is maintaining its icy grip on the continent, causing widespread chaos.
On Saturday it was Germany suffering the worst of the snow and winds. Hundreds of road accidents were reported, causing traffic jams on several main roads.
There was more disruption at the country’s biggest airport in Frankfurt. By midday, some 200 scheduled flights had been cancelled, stranding thousands of passengers.
In the French capital there were picture postcard views aplenty. But those hoping to see the city from the top of the Eiffel Tower were disappointed.
Across the channel in the UK, the country was bracing itself for another load of snow. Temperatures hit a low of minus 21 degrees Celsius in northern Scotland.
Across the country, roads remained dangerously icy, as a salt shortage forced local authorities to cut back on gritting operations.
Even Spain has failed to escape the Arctic conditions, with traffic severely hampered in northern and central regions.
Forecasters are predicting the freezing European temperatures will continue till the middle of the month.
Latest world news
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido freed after kidnap ordeal
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Iraq army ‘begins assault’ on ISIL bastion of Falluja
Wires > News
- 12:29 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 12:11 CET Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey – security…
- 12:09 CET Philippine Congress proclaims Duterte winner of presidential…
- 11:56 CET China’s anti-graft agency investigates Jiangsu province deputy…
- 11:49 CET Turkish government says wants presidency bill in parliament soon
- 11:46 CET Turkey, Israel still discussing normalisation – Turkish deputy PM
- 11:44 CET Bahrain lengthens Shi’ite leader’s jail term to 9 years -…
- 11:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan accuses Russia of arming PKK militants – newspaper