Now Reading:

CIA investigates Afghan attack

world news

CIA investigates Afghan attack


The CIA has opened an investigation into the killing of seven agents in Afghanistan, while one US intelligence official vowed the agency would “avenge” the deaths.

Street patrols and ground and air security has been stepped up since Wednesday’s attack inside Forward Operating Base Chapman in the Khost province near the southeastern border with Pakistan.

The Taliban claims the strike was carried out by a sympathiser within the Afghan army although this has not been confirmed.

The bombing has highlighted the reach and coordination of the insurgency. Violence is now at its highest level since the Taliban was overthrown in 2003.

Canadian journalist, Michelle Lang and five Candian soldiers were killed when their armoured vehicle was hit by a bomb in southern Kandahar on Wednesday.

And there is still no news of two French journalists or their Afghan guides who went missing the same day.

Paris has not confirmed rumour they have been kidnapped. And defence minister, Hervé Morin, visiting troops in Afghanistan, said no group had made any claims regarding the men. But a colleague in Kabul said they had been ambushed.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article