Italy’s prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has spent a fourth night in hospital where he is recovering from an assault that left him with a fractured nose and two broken teeth.
Doctors kept the premier in due to persistent pain and difficulty in eating, but expect to discharge him this afternoon, a day later than planned.
Berlusconi’s doctor Alberto Zangrillo said: The reasons are: the fact that the premier is still in pain, and therefore his suffering is not always easy to monitor, and also the premier’s persistent trouble in feeding himself. That said the clinical conditions of the premier are encouraging; we’re untroubled.’‘
Earlier, police confirmed a 26 year old man had been arrested for trying to gain access to the Italian leader’s room via the Milan hospital’s underground car park.
This latest incident is likely to raise further questions about the premier’s security following Sunday’s attack, which saw Berlusconi struck in the face with a model of Milan’s cathedral.