Now Reading:

Tiger Woods driven to an apology

world news

Tiger Woods driven to an apology


The billionaire golf star Tiger Woods has admitted he has “let his family down” amid a media storm about his private life. The husband and father-of-two said via his website:

“I have not been true to my values and the behaviour that my family deserves…I regret those transgressions with all my heart…I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect.” Woods did not directly address tabloid allegations of extra-marital affairs, but insisted he was dealing with his failings “behind closed doors.” Woods’ crisis began last week after The National Enquirer claimed he had had a relationship with Rachel Uchitel, described by the tabloid as “a New York City party girl.” Uchitel continues to deny the affair but another woman, Las Vegas cocktail waitress Jaimee Grubbs, came out in the red top press on Wednesday claiming she has text messages to prove that she and Woods had a 31-month fling. On Friday, two days after the Uchitel allegations, police were called in after Woods suffered facial injuries in a car crash outside his Florida home. Some tabloids claimed that was the result of a furious row with his wife. He has paid a $164 (109 euro) traffic fine. His sponsors are said to be standing by their man; the media focus may now fall on whether Woods’ wife Elin will do the same.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article