European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso has announced his new team of commissioners to steer the 27-nation bloc through the next five years:
“I’m especially pleased to welcome back 13 commissioners. This team is a perfect blend of experience and new thinking. We have European program, now we have European team,” he said.
The former French agriculture minister Michel Barnier has been handed the coverted post of internal market commissioner.
While Spaniard, Joaquin Almunia, has moved from financial and monetary affairs to take up the competition brief.
Olli Rhen from Finland has been given the job of financial and monetary affairs commissioner having previously held the EU enlargement portfolio.
The former Belgian foreign minister Karel De Gucht will be the new trade commissioner after heading EU development and humanitarian aid.
Italy’s Antonio Tajani the ex-transport and energy man has moved to industry.
While German Gunter Oettinger takes up the role of energy and transport commissioner.
The new climate action portfolio has gone to Connie Hedegaard the former climate and energy minister in the Danish government.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 12:34 CET Bosnian Serb general Zdravko Tolimir dies in The Hague
- 12:08 CET Rubio needs strong New Hampshire showing to rebut debate critics
- 12:02 CET Suicide blast near Damascus police club kills several – interior…
- 11:58 CET Swedish prosecutor preparing new application to interview Assange
- 11:53 CET Slovak PM says EU will either control migration this year or…
- 11:35 CET Eight dead, 150 hurt in train crash in Bavaria – police
- 11:33 CET Iraqi military advance reconnects Ramadi to key army base
- 11:28 CET Insight – Brazilian studies aim to unravel Zika’s link to birth…