European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso has announced his new team of commissioners to steer the 27-nation bloc through the next five years:
“I’m especially pleased to welcome back 13 commissioners. This team is a perfect blend of experience and new thinking. We have European program, now we have European team,” he said.
The former French agriculture minister Michel Barnier has been handed the coverted post of internal market commissioner.
While Spaniard, Joaquin Almunia, has moved from financial and monetary affairs to take up the competition brief.
Olli Rhen from Finland has been given the job of financial and monetary affairs commissioner having previously held the EU enlargement portfolio.
The former Belgian foreign minister Karel De Gucht will be the new trade commissioner after heading EU development and humanitarian aid.
Italy’s Antonio Tajani the ex-transport and energy man has moved to industry.
While German Gunter Oettinger takes up the role of energy and transport commissioner.
The new climate action portfolio has gone to Connie Hedegaard the former climate and energy minister in the Danish government.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
Latest world news
Deadly shooting on college campus in Arizona
‘Revenge stabbings’ as Israeli-Palestinian violence escalates
Turning point for FIFA? Blatter crisis sparks calls for overhaul of football’s governing body
Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet wins 2015 Nobel Peace Prize
Ebola-infected Scottish nurse readmitted to hospital
Wires > News
- 15:38 CET Islamic State advances on Aleppo in Syria fighting
- 15:12 CET At least 15 wounded in pre-election clash in Guinea capital
- 15:07 CET German right-wing party accuses Merkel of ‘people smuggling’
- 14:39 CET Nigerian at centre of Ebola scare did not have the virus – WHO
- 14:37 CET Senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards general killed in Syria – IRGC
- 14:31 CET India demands justice as Saudi employer accused of chopping off…
- 14:24 CET Portugal’s acting PM fails to gain Socialist backing for government
- 14:16 CET Family mourns Nigerian pilgrim who fled Boko Haram but died in Haj…