European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso has announced his new team of commissioners to steer the 27-nation bloc through the next five years:
“I’m especially pleased to welcome back 13 commissioners. This team is a perfect blend of experience and new thinking. We have European program, now we have European team,” he said.
The former French agriculture minister Michel Barnier has been handed the coverted post of internal market commissioner.
While Spaniard, Joaquin Almunia, has moved from financial and monetary affairs to take up the competition brief.
Olli Rhen from Finland has been given the job of financial and monetary affairs commissioner having previously held the EU enlargement portfolio.
The former Belgian foreign minister Karel De Gucht will be the new trade commissioner after heading EU development and humanitarian aid.
Italy’s Antonio Tajani the ex-transport and energy man has moved to industry.
While German Gunter Oettinger takes up the role of energy and transport commissioner.
The new climate action portfolio has gone to Connie Hedegaard the former climate and energy minister in the Danish government.
- 1Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
- 2Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
- 3Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
- 4Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
- 5Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Latest world news
Brazil: Senate committee approves report recommending Rousseff’s impeachment
Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET Images show North Korea may be preparing 5th nuclear test – think…
- 01:04 CET EU’s Juncker sees refugee crisis at ‘turning point’
- 22:14 CET Turkish journalists jailed for five years, hours after courthouse…
- 20:38 CET Panama Papers source breaks silence, denies being a spy -…
- 20:27 CET China takes first step in $1 billion pledge to U.N. to fund peace…
- 20:25 CET Egypt gives Italy phone records of union chief – source
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…