European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso has announced his new team of commissioners to steer the 27-nation bloc through the next five years:
“I’m especially pleased to welcome back 13 commissioners. This team is a perfect blend of experience and new thinking. We have European program, now we have European team,” he said.
The former French agriculture minister Michel Barnier has been handed the coverted post of internal market commissioner.
While Spaniard, Joaquin Almunia, has moved from financial and monetary affairs to take up the competition brief.
Olli Rhen from Finland has been given the job of financial and monetary affairs commissioner having previously held the EU enlargement portfolio.
The former Belgian foreign minister Karel De Gucht will be the new trade commissioner after heading EU development and humanitarian aid.
Italy’s Antonio Tajani the ex-transport and energy man has moved to industry.
While German Gunter Oettinger takes up the role of energy and transport commissioner.
The new climate action portfolio has gone to Connie Hedegaard the former climate and energy minister in the Danish government.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 5Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 1Eight children stabbed to death in Cairns, Australia
- 2Putin tries to reassure over rouble worries, but also slams the West
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4US homeowner ‘defending his castle’ found guilty of killing German teenager
- 5Ukraine: Conflict could soon be over says optimist President Poroshenko
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 16Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 17Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:45 CET Saudi forces kill four militants in Awamiya – interior ministry
- 14:37 CET Russia calls new sanctions on Crimea “collective punishment”
- 14:18 CET Pope names new prelate who runs Vatican during papal transitions
- 12:39 CET North Korea says did not hack Sony, wants joint probe with U.S.
- 11:36 CET North Korea proposes joint probe with the U.S. into Sony cyber…
- 11:28 CET Magnitude 5.9 earthquake hits Japan’s Honshu island – USGS
- 11:27 CET China offers $3 billion in aid and loans to neighbours – Xinhua
- 11:24 CET Putin urges Russia’s secret services to tackle “modern challenges”