Now Reading:

Suspected US army base gunman held

world news

Suspected US army base gunman held


A US army psychiatrist who went on a shooting rampage at an American military complex is still alive.

At least 12 people were killed and 31 wounded in the massacre at Fort Hood, Texas on Thursday. Authorities have identified the suspected gunman as Major Nidal Malik Hasan. Armed with two handguns, he reportedly opened fire on soldiers who were undergoing final medical check ups before being deployed overseas. Commanding General at Fort Hood Robert Cone said: “The investigation is ongoing, but preliminary reports indicate there was a single shooter that was shot multiple times at the scene, however he was not killed as previously reported. He is currently in custody and in a stable condition.’‘ What sparked the killing spree still remains unclear. Some reports suggest the 39 year-old US born Muslim was unhappy about the prospect of being deployed to either Iraq or Afghanistan. President Barack Obama described the violence as ‘horrific’

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article