“I was in Frankfurt.
What I remember most was a press conference being held by Gunter Schabowski, the GDR’s spokesman.
The representative of the Berlin government passed him a note while he was speaking.
He read it and said: ‘From Midnight or 2am, the gates of the Wall will be open.’
Nobody knew where this announcement had come from.”
- 1Austrian pole vaulter Grunberg left paraplegic after training accident
- 2Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
- 3Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 4Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 5Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 3Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 4Watch: dramatic landing of KLM plane at Schiphol Airport
- 5Austrian pole vaulter Grunberg left paraplegic after training accident
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union