Now Reading:

Karadzic to attend war crimes trial on Tuesday

world news

Karadzic to attend war crimes trial on Tuesday


The former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, who has boycotted his war crimes trial since it started last week, will appear in court tomorrow.

Today, he was again missing from the Hague tribunal, sending this explanation. “Mr Karadzic remains absent from these proceedings and has communicated to the chamber once again that this is because he considers himself not to be accurately prepared,” Chief Judge O-Gon Kwon told the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. Karadzic, who is representing himself, says he needs ten months to prepare his defence. By attending a procedural hearing on Tuesday, he aims to find a solution to the problem. Former Bosnian Serb military chief Ratko Mladic remains on the run. Both men are accused over the Srebrenica massacre, in which some 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed. Victims’ relatives gathered outside the Hague tribunal for the start of Karadzic’s trial. Charged over the Bosnian war of the 1990s, he denies genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article