The man accused of ordering Europe’s worst atrocities since the Second World War – Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic – finally faces a war crimes trial on Monday.
The mothers of the missing and the dead – victims of the Balkan conflict in the ’90s – have begun making their way to the Hague tribunal.
An estimated 100,000 people died in the Bosnian war.
Murat Tahirovic, President of the League of Camp Inmates of Bosnia and Herzegovina said: “We simply seek righteousness, we seek justice and truth and hope that the final court, on the basis of experience they have had so far with Milosovic, will adequately prosecute and punish Radovan Karadzic for all those crimes.”
But the relatives and friends of the Bosnian Serbs’ wartime leader, who is facing two charges of genocide and allegations of other inhumane acts, are standing by him. They still consider him a hero
His cousin Vukosav Karadzic said: “We know he is clean and innocent. He was fighting for the cause. He was on the right path. He created Republica Srpska. He fought for his people like everyone else fights for their people.”
Karadzic is accused of directing a campaign of so called “ethnic cleansing” to remove Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats from supposed Serb territory and the massacre of 8,000 men and boys in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica in 1995.