Roman Polanski’s lawyers say he will fight the extradition request made by the United States to Switzerland.The film director was arrested last month after flying from his home in France to Zurich, where he was to collect an award for his work. The Swiss justice department said it was considering the extradition request but that Polanski could appeal. A department spokesman said: “Last night the American Embassy gave us a formal extradition request. That request is based on an arrest warrant from February 1, 1978, by the competent Court of Los Angeles. That warrant had been issued because that day, Mr. Polanski, against his guarantees, had not shown himself at the Court.” Polanski fled California the day before he was due to be sentenced for having unlawful sex with a 13-year old girl. Samantha Geimer has since said she thinks he has already been sufficiently punished. The 76-year-old was refused bail by a Swiss court last week and will remain in custody should he decide to appeal his extradition.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.