Franco-Polish film director Roman Polanski has had his appeal against a Swiss court’s ruling that he must remain in prison turned down, as the risk was too high he would flee pending extradition to the United States.
He was arrested on September 26 on arrival in Zurich for an award. This on the demand of the US authorities, where he pleaded guilty in 1977 of having unlawful sex with a minor. “This decision is obviously a disappointment for us, but we have a right of appeal, and it’s probable Mr. Polanski will do just that. I repeat that Mr. Polanski is firmly committed to staying in Switzerland during the extradition process, whatever the outcome, and has proposed a number of guarantees,” said Polanski’s lawyer Hervé Temime. This is the 76-year-old’s second attempt to be freed on bail. He was hospitalised at the end of last week for an unspecified illness. The 13-year-old victim of Polanski’s assault turned the page on the incident in adulthood, is not pressing charges, and says she wants the case dropped.