Now Reading:

Poll gives Merkel centre-right majority

world news

Poll gives Merkel centre-right majority


With the German federal election just days away, Frank-Walter Steinmeier’s centre-left SPD is refusing to concede defeat, despite a poll showing Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservatives have just enough support to form a centre-right or “black and yellow” coalition.

“Black-yellow is not wanted in this country, ladies and gentlemen, that’s the message”, Steinmeier told supporters at an election rally. The poll for German TV put support for Merkel’s conservative bloc down one point at 36 percent and the FDP unchanged at 12 percent. But their combined score of 48 percent exceeds that of the other three major parties put together. Merkel’s promise of a coalition with the business- friendly Free Democrats (FDP) seems certain to be fulfilled and the alliance won’t stop her taking on big business. At a campaign rally in Mainz, she told cheering supporters: “That’s why I will go to Pittsburgh on Thursday and Friday to meet the heads of government of the 19 biggest industrialised countries with the strong will to bring in rules for international banks in future, so that something like this (economic) crisis will never happen again.” The conservatives are in buoyant mood and the FDP, led by Guido Westerwelle, are basking in the glory of imminent power – or power sharing at least. Support for the Greens remains unchanged at 11 percent. The Left languish in last place, unchanged on 10 percent.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article