South American leaders face intense disagreements as they prepare for a regional summit in Argentina.Colombia’s Alvaro Uribe is under fire for plans to allow the United States increased use of seven military bases in his country. Washington and Bogota insist it will help the fight against drug trafficking and left-wing rebels. But critics, led by Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez, denounce it as ‘imperialist aggression.’ The deal would let US aircraft operate from the seven bases, but would not permit an increase in military personnel. The plan has raised diplomatic tensions in South America. Many leaders are wary of an increased US military presence, recalling Washington’s support for right-wing dictatorships in the past. The White House denies any intention of establishing a permanent American military base in Colombia. But President Chavez said greater US involvement in Colombia could presage a stab at Venezuela’s huge oil reserves, and could even spark a regional war.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
No clear winner likely in Spanish election
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as Corbyn faces party revolt
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Wires > News
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…