A fire has ripped through an elderly people’s home in Belgium killing nine pensioners.
A further three victims are reported to be in a critical condition A council spokeswoman said an electrical device set fire to a mattress, and the fumes spread throughout the halls. One witness said people worked hard to get the residents out. “My husband and I ran inside and he went upstairs while I went downstairs. We took as many people as possible outside. One man was panicking and wouldn’t leave his bed. So I used all my strength. I’m quite fragile but I managed to get him out of his bed” The tragedy took place at the Kanumik Triest nursing home in the northern Belgian village of Melle which is about 50 kilometers north west of Brussels. The victims, believed to be seven women and two men, died from smoke inhalation. A total of 92 elderly people live at the home. All remaining residents have been evacuated