BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Infant baby of swine flu victim dies after hospital feeding mistake

Now Reading:

Infant baby of swine flu victim dies after hospital feeding mistake

Text size Aa Aa

A shocking medical error has claimed the life of an infant born prematurely to a woman who was the first person in Spain to die from the H1N1 flu virus.

Staff at the hospital in Madrid fed the baby boy intravenously rather than through a tube – by the time the mistake was realised, it was too late to save him. “We admit this is grave negligence, it is something that cannot be excused either by the management or the hospital staff.” said Antonio Barba, Director of the Gregorio Maranon Hospital in Madrid. The Spanish media have closely followed the case of the mother, Dalila Mimouni, and her son, Rayan, who was delivered prematurely by caesarian when his mother’s condition worsened. He did not have the illness. She had complained of flu symptoms days before being diagnosed but was sent home with a prescription. The family say the child will be buried with his mother in Morocco.