11/06/09 07:39 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An elderly man described by the media as a white supremacist has been shot and critically wounded after killing a security guard at the Washington Holocaust Memorial museum.The attacker has been identified as James W. von Brunn. The guard, Stephen Tyrone Jones, died of his injuries in hospital. The museum will be closed today in his memory. “In these days and times you never know when someone is going to grab a gun and use it in an inappropriate way as was done today,” said Washington’s Mayor Adrian Fenty. Von Brunn, 88, appears on a neo-nazi website and is the author of books on Hitler and the Holocaust. He went to jail in 1981 for carrying a gun in the US central bank. The authorities have not yet confirmed he is the author of the attack. Extreme right-wing websites hailed Von Brunn after the news broke, calling him a “real American hero”. President Barack Obama expressed his shock and sadness following the attack.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Iraqi commander declares ‘battle of Falluja over’
No clear winner likely in Spanish election
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as Corbyn faces party revolt
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
Wires > News
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…