A branch of the Irish Catholic church has said it will review compensation to victims after a damning publication. The report into abuse, which was published last week and took nine years to compile, catalogues decades of rapes, beatings and neglect of children at institutions run by church orders in Ireland.Despite pressure from politicians and religious leaders, the orders had initially refused to renegotiate the terms of a deal agreed with the Irish government in 2002. That scheme had seen a total of almost a 130-million euros, which was capped, set aside for victims. But now, the Catholic order of Christian Brothers, accused of some of the most harrowing cases, begged for forgiveness on Tuesday saying it would review victims’ compensation claims.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.