24/04/09 13:27 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Senior Democrats are increasing calls for an investigation into Bush-era anti-terror practices.
Since releasing intelligence memos last week, Barack Obama has been attacked by the left and right with both sides wanting more information in the public domain.
Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the US House of Representatives said: “I have always been for a truth commission because I think this is very important. The question that was there was should there be immunity or not. I think it should be decided on a case by case basis.”
But for some Republicans the imminent release of photos depicting alleged abuse of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan threatens national security.
John Boehner, Republican Minority leader: “I think it provides a chilling effect on all our intelligence officers around the world, I think that’s unfortunate. Secondly, I think it only presents a small piece of a bigger story that should be released.”
The President has not ruled out charges against those who authorised the methods which may implicate Condolezza Rice, Dick Cheney and other senior members of the Bush administration.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’