Two million digitized books and other cultural treasures are now accessible online in the new multilingual European Union virtual library ‘Europeana’. Or… will be when technical problems are sorted out: Soon after its launch the website seized up. Popularity did that… 10 million hits an hour.
It will connect people to history and, through interactive pages and tools, to each other, Brussels says. Europeana was put into motion after Google Book Search – the major American venture – beat Europe out of the starting blocks.
The European web library, with the participation of in more than a thousand institutions in the 27 EU states, plans to offer access to 10 million works by 2010. So far, about half the 2 million digitized items are from France.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 18#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news