Two million digitized books and other cultural treasures are now accessible online in the new multilingual European Union virtual library ‘Europeana’. Or… will be when technical problems are sorted out: Soon after its launch the website seized up. Popularity did that… 10 million hits an hour.
It will connect people to history and, through interactive pages and tools, to each other, Brussels says. Europeana was put into motion after Google Book Search – the major American venture – beat Europe out of the starting blocks.
The European web library, with the participation of in more than a thousand institutions in the 27 EU states, plans to offer access to 10 million works by 2010. So far, about half the 2 million digitized items are from France.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent