Two million digitized books and other cultural treasures are now accessible online in the new multilingual European Union virtual library ‘Europeana’. Or… will be when technical problems are sorted out: Soon after its launch the website seized up. Popularity did that… 10 million hits an hour.
It will connect people to history and, through interactive pages and tools, to each other, Brussels says. Europeana was put into motion after Google Book Search – the major American venture – beat Europe out of the starting blocks.
The European web library, with the participation of in more than a thousand institutions in the 27 EU states, plans to offer access to 10 million works by 2010. So far, about half the 2 million digitized items are from France.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news