Two million digitized books and other cultural treasures are now accessible online in the new multilingual European Union virtual library ‘Europeana’. Or… will be when technical problems are sorted out: Soon after its launch the website seized up. Popularity did that… 10 million hits an hour.
It will connect people to history and, through interactive pages and tools, to each other, Brussels says. Europeana was put into motion after Google Book Search – the major American venture – beat Europe out of the starting blocks.
The European web library, with the participation of in more than a thousand institutions in the 27 EU states, plans to offer access to 10 million works by 2010. So far, about half the 2 million digitized items are from France.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 4International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Femen protest in Kiev against Navalny verdict | euronews, no comment