Where did it all go wrong? That is what John McCain must be wondering after his White House dreams ended in tatters.
The Arizona Senator was gracious in defeat, acknowledging the significance of his rival’s victory.
McCain told supporters in Phoenix that he alone was responsible for the way things had turned out.
“This is an historic election. We fought as hard as we could. And though we fell short, the failure is mine, not yours,” he said.
But does the blame lie elsewhere? Some point to his running mate, Sarah Palin.
A series of scandals and perceived gaffes made by the self-proclaimed “hockey mom” helped erase the initial euphoria she triggered. Some questioned whether the Alaska Governor was up to stepping in as president in case of an emergency.
But, for many analysts there is another explanation for John McCain’s defeat, with the feeling that the cards were stacked against him from the start.
“This election, above all, was a complete repudiation of the Bush presidency,” said political analyst Allan J. Lichtman. “American elections are basically votes up or down on the performance of the party holding the White House and basically Americans said loud and clear they don’t like the way the country has been governed over the last four years.”
In 2000, George W. Bush put paid to John McCain’s presidential bid by beating him in the Republican primaries. Eight years on, it seems, Bush has again contributed to his colleague’s White House hopes falling flat.
Copyright © 2014 euronews
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5[In pictures] Pre-revolutionary Russia as you may never have seen it before
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 17:12 CET Putin accuses United States of damaging world order
- 16:59 CET South African police fire rubber bullets at Diamondcorp strikers
- 16:48 CET In eastern Ukraine, parliamentary election deepens divide
- 16:30 CET Suspicious yellow powder sent to Canadian, Belgian, German, …
- 16:29 CET Masked men burn Saudi consulate cars in Egypt – sources
- 16:24 CET Kurds deny Erdogan report of deal with Syrian rebels to aid…
- 16:12 CET Exclusive – Chad says Nigeria deal with Boko Haram to free girls…
- 16:01 CET Sweden’s far-right tells mainstream to negotiate or risk new…