Now Reading:

Karadzic says "not ready" for trial

world news

Karadzic says "not ready" for trial


The trial of former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic will now not begin until late January at the earliest.

At a hearing at the war crimes tribunal at the Hague Karadzic complained he had only received the Serb translation of the charges against him on Monday, and so had nothing to say. He added the trial was moving too quickly and he had been unable to assemble his legal advisory team.

However Scottish judge Iain Bonomy is frustrated that the trial is progressing at a snail’s pace, and he lays the blame for that on Karadzic as he has chosen to plead his own case without legal representation. He responded that Kardazic had repeatedly been warned about the problems of defending himself.

Karadzic has been in custody since July.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article