BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Over 100 taken ill after gas leak at German factory

Now Reading:

Over 100 taken ill after gas leak at German factory

Over 100 taken ill after gas leak at German factory
Text size Aa Aa

More than 100 people have suffered carbon dioxide poisoning after a gas leak at a paint factory in Germany.

Workers, fire officers and local residents were affected by dizziness and nausea. At least 16 people needed hospital treatment.

Emergency crews sealed off an area of a kilometre or so around the plant in the western city of Moenchengladbach. Those living nearby were told to keep their windows closed. Around 50 homes were evacuated.

Earlier, a small fire at the factory triggered an extinguishing system which uses carbon dioxide. A police spokesman said that a fault in the system was believed to have caused the leak.