The Basque terror group ETA is being blamed for a small explosion on a major motorway in Spain’s Basque Country. The device went off sometime over the weekend, damaging roadworkers’ cabins and equipment. Police say it may be a backlash from the terrorists following the arrest of several ETA suspects last week, and the discovery of weapons and explosives.
The target was the A8 motorway near the Basque town of Orio. ETA has recently attacked new roads and rail lines improving links to the region.
Spain’s anti-terrorist judge Baltasar Garzon is handling the case against the ETA suspects arrested on Tuesday. He said the government’s mounting pressure is starting to weaken the terrorists although they are still able to strike back.
Madrid broke off peace talks 18 months ago, and ETA ended its year-long ceasefire last summer. It has murdered four people since then. The government has ruled out further talks, and says ETA’s only option is to surrender.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.