With the oil price still soaring, the most influential figures in the world’s oil and gas industries are meeting in Madrid this week.
The World Petroleum Congress brings together energy ministers and company executives.
It is being held just one week after the summit of major oil producers in Saudi Arabia.
While the customer at the pump is struggling to make ends meet, the major oil companies including BP, Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil and Gazprom say they have to balance profits against customer accusations that they are cashing in.
Mass protests across Europe have seen fishermen dock their boats and truckers snarl up motorways in protest at crippling fuel costs.
The energy giants and petrol producers insist they are not to blame, putting the problem down to speculation.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 3Modern Express towed safely into Bilbao port
- 4Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
- 5EU foreign ministers tell Turkey to let in the exodus from Aleppo
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 01:20 CET Over 130 people still trapped in quake-hit Taiwan tower – official
- 00:31 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 23:56 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants
- 22:41 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 22:39 CET Iraq’s water minister judges only tiny danger of Mosul dam collapse
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17