26/06/08 07:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A British man who murdered his wife and baby in the United States, then hid their bodies and fled home to the UK, has been found guilty of their murder. He was extradited back to the US to stand trial. Neil Entwistle claimed his 27-year-old wife shot their nine-month-old daughter and then herself. But one bullet had passed through the baby into her mother.
Entwistle’s parents insisted it was a miscarriage of justice: “We know that our son Neil is innocent and we are devastated to learn that the evidence points to Rachel murdering our grandchild and then committing suicide.”
The jury heard that Entwistle was deeply in debt and had searched the internet for information on how to kill people in the days before his wife and baby daughter died.
“I condemn Neil Entwistle for compounding the unspeakable nature of what he has done by disparaging the memory of his wife and vilifying the entire Matterazzo family by his decisions during the course of this trial,” said Gerry Leone, the District Attorney involved with the case.
Entwistle will be sentenced later today and faces life in prison without parole. His lawyers said they would launch an appeal.
Wires > News
- 01:31 CET Australia PM Turnbull confirms will call election for July 2
- 01:15 CET Brazil prosecutor asks Supreme Court to investigate Lula
- 00:01 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks