Kosovo’s new constitution comes into effect today.
It is another landmark move for the disputed territory, four months after it declared independence from Serbia.
From now on, the ethnic Albanian authorities there will take on many of the powers held by the UN which has administered Kosovo since 1999.
Kosovo’s President Fatmir Sejdiu is the first to recognize the scale of the task that lies ahead.
He says he expects Kosovo’s institutions to “take up their responsibilities,” helped by the international community “in the challenges they face, specifically in integrating a section of Kosovo’s citizens – the Serb citizens who refuse to understand and acknowledge this new reality.”
Like Belgrade, Kosovo’s minority Serbs firmly reject the territory’s breakaway and its constitution. They are expected to react by setting up their own governing institutions.
Serbia’s Coordinator for Kosovo Goran Arsic describes the constitution as “illegitimate and illegal.”
“For Serbia’s community, it does not exist. We will not accept it and will continue to work as we did before and as we are now,” he said.
Amid fears of ethnic tensions boiling over, the presence of international peacekeepers has been boosted in the predominantly Serb north. Meanwhile, an EU law-and-order mission for Kosovo continues to face major delays, because of objections by Serbia’s ally Russia at the United Nations.
Copyright © 2014 euronews
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 5Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > News
- 23:47 CET First Ebola case diagnosed in the United States – CDC
- 23:23 CET Avalanche in southern Chile kills Canadian, Swedish climbers
- 23:21 CET Indonesia’s Widodo manages hopes as hostile parliament convenes
- 23:06 CET U.S. warns South Sudan: Strike a peace deal or face U.N. sanctions
- 22:27 CET Catalonia suspends formal campaign on Spain independence vote
- 22:26 CET Task force delays aircraft tracking plans promised after MH370…
- 21:41 CET Judge urged to accept guilty plea in U.S. embassy bombing case
- 21:20 CET EU opts to extend Central African Republic mission