06/01/08 19:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On the eve of Christmas, Kosovo’s Serbs have been following tradition and gathering branches to be burned in remembrance of the birth of Jesus Christ.
Orthodox Christians around the world will mark Christmas on January 7. But some Serbs in Kosovo fear this could be the last such celebration in their homes.
They could flee if the province’s ethnic Albanian leaders, as expected, declare independence from Belgrade.
One young Kosovo Serb, collecting branches near Mitrovica, said he would not leave but predicted lots of other Serbs would go.
“No matter what happens, we will stay here,” another teenager added.
“I will defend my home. I hope that this is not our last Christmas here.”
Amid Christmas preparations, the province’s future remains uppermost in many minds – not least in Mitrovica, a town divided between Kosovo’s minority Serbs and the ethnic Albanian majority.
For now, Kosovo’s sovereignty remains with Serbia, although the province has been run by the UN and patrolled by NATO peacekeepers since Serbian forces were driven out in 1999.
However 2008 could bring major changes, giving Christmas a special significance for this Orthodox community.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…