On the eve of Christmas, Kosovo’s Serbs have been following tradition and gathering branches to be burned in remembrance of the birth of Jesus Christ.
Orthodox Christians around the world will mark Christmas on January 7. But some Serbs in Kosovo fear this could be the last such celebration in their homes.
They could flee if the province’s ethnic Albanian leaders, as expected, declare independence from Belgrade.
One young Kosovo Serb, collecting branches near Mitrovica, said he would not leave but predicted lots of other Serbs would go.
“No matter what happens, we will stay here,” another teenager added.
“I will defend my home. I hope that this is not our last Christmas here.”
Amid Christmas preparations, the province’s future remains uppermost in many minds – not least in Mitrovica, a town divided between Kosovo’s minority Serbs and the ethnic Albanian majority.
For now, Kosovo’s sovereignty remains with Serbia, although the province has been run by the UN and patrolled by NATO peacekeepers since Serbian forces were driven out in 1999.
However 2008 could bring major changes, giving Christmas a special significance for this Orthodox community.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 4Canada: Accident involving Airbus A320 hospitalises at least 25
- 5Tunisia: Massive anti-terror march after Bardo Museum massacre
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:22 CET Clashes with Taliban halt supply of power in south Afghanistan
- 07:07 CET Republicans see Obama as more imminent threat than Putin -…
- 02:43 CET Major 7.7 quake strikes off Papua New Guinea, tsunami warning…
- 02:36 CET Syria’s Assad says Islamic State has expanded since start of …
- 00:55 CET Air Canada plane landed short, hit antennas in Halifax accident
- 20:24 CET Egypt lists top Brotherhood leader, 17 others as terrorists -…
- 18:32 CET Turkey detains five Dutch people seeking to enter Syria
- 18:19 CET Liberia calls for sexual abstinence to cut Ebola transmission risk