On the eve of Christmas, Kosovo’s Serbs have been following tradition and gathering branches to be burned in remembrance of the birth of Jesus Christ.
Orthodox Christians around the world will mark Christmas on January 7. But some Serbs in Kosovo fear this could be the last such celebration in their homes.
They could flee if the province’s ethnic Albanian leaders, as expected, declare independence from Belgrade.
One young Kosovo Serb, collecting branches near Mitrovica, said he would not leave but predicted lots of other Serbs would go.
“No matter what happens, we will stay here,” another teenager added.
“I will defend my home. I hope that this is not our last Christmas here.”
Amid Christmas preparations, the province’s future remains uppermost in many minds – not least in Mitrovica, a town divided between Kosovo’s minority Serbs and the ethnic Albanian majority.
For now, Kosovo’s sovereignty remains with Serbia, although the province has been run by the UN and patrolled by NATO peacekeepers since Serbian forces were driven out in 1999.
However 2008 could bring major changes, giving Christmas a special significance for this Orthodox community.
Copyright © 2015 euronews
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 5Germany’s Merkel rebuffs talk of new Greek bailout
- 1Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 5Driving the future: the highlights of Press Day at the Geneva Motor Show
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 07:15 CET Hillary Clinton’s focus on women’s pay may resonate broadly – poll
- 07:12 CET Embattled Hillary Clinton urges U.S. State Department to release…
- 07:11 CET Syria opposition turns to internal opponents
- 07:02 CET Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South…
- 06:19 CET Two Germans to be caned, jailed for train graffiti in Singapore
- 05:41 CET Modi to ramp up help for Indian Ocean nations to counter China…
- 05:38 CET Indonesia to announce execution date for foreign convicts “in a…
- 03:46 CET Dominican Republic shutters consular offices in Haiti due to…