06/01/08 19:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On the eve of Christmas, Kosovo’s Serbs have been following tradition and gathering branches to be burned in remembrance of the birth of Jesus Christ.
Orthodox Christians around the world will mark Christmas on January 7. But some Serbs in Kosovo fear this could be the last such celebration in their homes.
They could flee if the province’s ethnic Albanian leaders, as expected, declare independence from Belgrade.
One young Kosovo Serb, collecting branches near Mitrovica, said he would not leave but predicted lots of other Serbs would go.
“No matter what happens, we will stay here,” another teenager added.
“I will defend my home. I hope that this is not our last Christmas here.”
Amid Christmas preparations, the province’s future remains uppermost in many minds – not least in Mitrovica, a town divided between Kosovo’s minority Serbs and the ethnic Albanian majority.
For now, Kosovo’s sovereignty remains with Serbia, although the province has been run by the UN and patrolled by NATO peacekeepers since Serbian forces were driven out in 1999.
However 2008 could bring major changes, giving Christmas a special significance for this Orthodox community.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 4Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
Ukraine and Russia clash again over gas pricing
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET U.S. using sex, money to infiltrate Iran, supreme leader says
- 21:50 CET Sarkozy battles far-right in French regional vote
- 21:33 CET Palestinian stabs Israeli soldier and is shot dead – army
- 21:33 CET Russia’s past and present collide at ceremony to honour former…
- 21:07 CET Russia and Turkey refuse to back down in row over jet downing
- 20:25 CET UK-made cruise missile used in deadly airstrike on Yemeni factory…
- 20:23 CET Paris attacks a reason Canada slowing Syria migrant flow, PM says
- 20:10 CET Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital – military