Now Reading:

Failed ETA car bomb targets Spanish government building

world news

Failed ETA car bomb targets Spanish government building


ETA has wasted no time in turning its threats into actions. The armed Basque separatist group is being blamed for trying to set off a large car bomb in northern Spain. The attack failed after only the detonator ignited. No one was hurt and no damage was caused.

A telephone warning was made in the name of ETA. On Sunday, the group vowed to keep up bomb attacks on the Spanish state. Parked near a Defence Ministry building in the city of Logrono just outside the Basque region, the car was packed with over 60 kg of explosives.

Antonio Camacho from Spain’s Interior Ministry said: “Once again, ETA has chosen violence and it should know that this path will lead to its demise: it is the path to prison, the victory of the rule of law and the group’s disappearance.”

Earlier in the Basque city of San Sebastian, there were clashes between police and demonstrators at a rally in support of ETA prisoners. Since the group called off its ceasefire in June, it has resumed its violent campaign for Basque independence. It has also, however, suffered a series of setbacks with over 20 suspected members arrested in Spain and France, including allegedly key figures in the organisation. ETA blames Spain’s Socialist government for the breakdown in peace talks.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article