The accidental killing of at least 8 civilians by US forces in Afghanistan sparked angry scenes in the town of Jalalabad on Sunday. According to eye-witnesses, American troops opened fire when a suicide bomber in a minibus attempted to attack a convoy. Afghans have accused the troops of firing indiscriminately, killing and wounding dozens of by-standers.
This man, a relative of one of the wounded, said that the victim and his friend were just children, one of them a shepherd. “The foreign soldiers opened fire on them, on cars and everyone in sight,” he said.
There is confusion over the number of victims with some reports putting the number of killed as high as 10 with more than 30 wounded. Meanwhile, two British soldiers have been killed in a rocket attack in Southern Afghanistan.
The deaths occurred in the Sangin area of Helmand province on Saturday. 20 foreign soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan so far this year.