Survivors and relatives of victims of the Srebrinica massacre are on their way to The Hague for a ruling on a demand to hold Serbia accountable for mass killings during the Bosnian War. The case, brought by Bosnia, has been described as one of the most significant in the International Court’s history. “We’ve been waiting a long time, and now we want to go there and witness justice for ourselves,” said one woman boarding a bus in Sarajevo for The Hague. “We have been deceived many times before and now we want justice, finally,” another said.
The UN Court in The Hague opened the case last year, 13 years after Bosnia first sued what remained of the Yugoslav state from which it broke away in 1992. At least 100,000 died in the ensuing conflict. Bosnia says modern-day Serbia should pay billions of euros in compensation for the genocide and other war crimes committed against Bosnian Muslims during the fighting.
The most notorious episode came at Srebrinica when around 8,000 Bosnian men were massacred. Serbia’s lawyers have argued the case between two multi-ethnic states does not reflect a war fought along ethnic lines. The ruling is expected on Monday.