Alcatel-Lucent is not commenting on a report in the French weekly publication L’Expansion that the telecommunications equipment maker could cut more than 20% of its staff world-wide. That is twice as many jobs as was originally thought would come from the recent merger of the two companies.
Chief executive Patricia Russo will report Alcatel-Lucent’s full year results on Friday and that is when the job cuts could be announced.
The group has already reduced its work force from the pre-merger 88,000 to 79,000 and last month it warned of lower turnover and operating profit due to uncertainty created by the merger.
The report in L’Expansion quoted industry sources and said between 15,000 and 20,000 jobs could go, of which 1,500 to 2,000 would be in France. One union source has told a French newspaper that employees could go on strike later this month in reaction to the layoffs.