Now Reading:

Video shows terror of Eilat attack

world news

Video shows terror of Eilat attack


Terror in Israel – just four days before mediators are to meet in a bid to revive Middle East peace talks. Video footage has been released of the moment a Palestinian suicide bomber killed three people in the southern Israeli resort of Eilat. It was the first suicide bombing in Israel since April 2006.

The dramatic security camera video shows the impact of the blast on the fast-food restaurant next door. Monday morning’s blast was the first ever suicide attack in the Red Sea town. It is one of Israel’s most popular holiday destinations – attracting nearly 180,000 foreign tourists last year.

Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni said after the bombing: “Israel showed extraordinary restraint until now in order to give the Palestinians the opportunity to fight terrorism and to stop these terror attacks on Israel. Unfortunately the Palestinians didn’t take this opportunity in order to stop terrorism.”

Islamic Jihad and the al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claimed responsibility for the blast, naming a 21-year-old from Gaza as the bomber.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article