BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Two kidnapped journalists are released in Gaza


world news

Two kidnapped journalists are released in Gaza

Two Fox News journalists kidnapped in Gaza nearly two weeks ago are free. Sixty-year old Steven Centanni who is American and his 36-year old colleague Olaf Wiig from New Zealand were seized in Baghdad on August 14. A previously unknown group calling itself the Holy Jihad Brigades claimed responsibility for their capture.

Their release comes just hours after a videotape was aired showing them converting to Islam. “I’m an American, after I converted to Islam, I changed my name to Khaled,” Centanni said on the tape. Wiig could be seen reading a letter apparently written in English and Arabic calling on Western leaders to take notice of the millions of people demonstrating in the streets and to stop using the “‘I won’t negotiate with terrorists’ myth”.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Lebanon peace moves gather pace