Now Reading:

Man to be questioned on plot to bomb German trains

world news

Man to be questioned on plot to bomb German trains


Federal prosecutors in Germany will today quiz a 21- year-old Lebanese man who they believe planted a bomb on a passenger train that could have killed a large number of people, had it gone off.

The student was arrested in Kiel railway station on Saturday after being recognised as one of two men captured on video last month planting suitcases on trains in Koblenz and Dortmund that were primed with propane and gasoline.

And police say his fingerprints and DNA match that found on one of the abandoned bags.

German Interior Minister Wolfgang Shaueuble welcomed the arrest, saying that it showed the usefulness of video surveillaince cameras, which he said might be more widely deployed in the future. He said that didn’t believe the installation of such cameras represented an infringement of civil liberties – given the threat to freedom that terrorism respresents.

A second suspect is still being hunted over July’s bomb plot. Police haven’t revealed why the explosives failed to detonate – but said they had been timed to go off when the trains would have been full of passengers.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article