After holding its weekly cabinet meeting, the Israeli government has defended its commando raid on a Hizbollah stronghold on Saturday.
It comes after UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said the operation violated the current truce and called on both sides to avoid provocation.
Israeli Minister Isaac Herzog said: “What we are focusing on is that the arrangements regarding the embargo on arms to the Hizbollah from Iran and Syria will be fully implemented. That is why I beg to differ with the honourable Secretary-General with his comments.”
As the Israeli army continues its withdrawal from southern Lebanon, the military’s chief of staff has claimed victory in the war.
While admitting they failed to deal a knockout blow, he told the cabinet Hizbollah’s infrastructure had been hit hard.
That is not how everyone in Israel sees the situation and Saturday morning’s raid suggests there is still a will to take action against perceived targets and argue self defence – something allowed under the current UN-backed truce.