Now Reading:

Israel resumes attacks on Beirut

world news

Israel resumes attacks on Beirut


Fierce fighting in Lebanon has led to whole neighbourhoods of Beirut being destroyed. Launching attacks on some 70 targets, the Israeli air force has bombed Hizbollah strongholds in the capital’s suburbs. Most civilians have already fled the city since the conflict began on July 12th. Those who have stayed say they are getting accustomed to the death and destruction.

The southern port of Tyre has also been targeted by Israeli forces. A vast number of buildings have been reduced to rubble, but so far no one has been reported dead. Again most people who lived here have fled, leaving their possessions behind. Around 10,000 soldiers have been deployed in Southern Lebanon by the Israeli Army, their offensive against Hizbollah apparently strengthening by the day.

While rockets showered overhead and the bombings continued in Beirut and Tyre, the Shi’ite group has been retaliating. After its massive missile strike on Wednesday it fired around 70 rockets into Israel. According to Prime Minister Fouad Siniora, more than 900 Lebanese have been killed in the conflict, a third were children under the age of 12.

Some 3,000 people have reportedly been injured and around a million are now said to be refugees – a quarter of the country’s population.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article