Now Reading:

Vigil marks Menezes shooting anniversary

world news

Vigil marks Menezes shooting anniversary


A vigil has been held in south London to mark the first anniversary of the death of Jean Charles de Menezes – the Brazilian killed by police who mistakenly thought he was a suicide bomber. Family, friends and well-wishers laid flowers outside Stockwell metro station close to where the 27-year-old electrician was shot seven times in the head.

Among those paying tribute was Mohammed Abdul Kahar, who was shot in the chest last month during a police anti-terrorism raid at his house in the east of the capital. Prosecutors said on Monday that no officers would be charged over the Menezes shooting – a decision described by his family as unbelievable and ridiculous. However the Metropolitan Police are to be prosecuted under health and safety laws over his death.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article