Now Reading:

Bosnian Muslims bury more Srebrenica victims, 11 years on

world news

Bosnian Muslims bury more Srebrenica victims, 11 years on


Thousands of Bosnian Muslims have held special prayers at the Potocari memorial in eastern Bosnia, remembering Europe’s worst massacre since World War Two. It is exactly 11 years since Bosnian Serb forces entered nearby Srebrenica, despite it being a United Nations Safe Area.

They went on to kill about 8,000 Muslim men and boys. The two leaders indicted over the 1995 massacre, Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic, are still wanted by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, whose chief prosecutor
Carla del Ponte attended the ceremony. Five hundred and five newly-identified victims were buried on Tuesday, at the cemetery where 2,000 others had already been laid to rest.

The regional commission for missing persons recently said about half of those registered as missing from Srebrenica had been found in 80 mass graves across eastern Bosnia, but only a third had been identified. Remains are identified through DNA analysis, matching victims’ bones with blood samples from their relatives. On Friday seven Bosnian Serb officials will go on trial at the UN tribunal in The Hague in connection with the Srebrenica massacre.

More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article