Now Reading:

Croat war crimes suspect awaits transfer to Hague

world news

Croat war crimes suspect awaits transfer to Hague


Spanish police have released footage of the arrest of Ante Gotovina, the former Croatian general sought by war crimes prosecuters in the Hague.

The 50-year-old was seized in a restaurant on the island of Tenerife. It is unclear how long he had been in Spanish territory. There was tight security in Madrid last night as he was flown to a military air base and taken before a magistrate ahead of his transfer to The Hague on Saturday. Gotovina is accused of killing about 150 Serb civilians and making thousands more homeless during a Croatian offensive in the former Yugoslavia ten years ago. The chief prosecutor at The Hague, Carla del Ponte, says the general’s arrest will put further pressure on Serbia to deliver the two men above him on the wanted list – former Bosnian Serb leaders Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic.
More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article