Now Reading:

Two more arrests over failed London attacks

world news

Two more arrests over failed London attacks


British police have arrested two more men as part of their inquiry into the attempted bombings in London. They were detained during raids in Clapham and Stockwell in the south of the capital. A police spokesman said they were arrested “on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism”. Detectives are questioning 18 others held as part of the investigation into the July 21 attacks. Meanwhile, the London bombing suspect arrested in Rome last week was more likely part of a loose group of amateurs than an Islamist militant ring, according to Italian investigators.

Ethiopian-born Issac Hamdi lived in Italy from 1991 to 1996 before obtaining fake Somali documents and British citizenship using the name Osman Hussein. His Italian lawyer said Hussein believed that the explosive was not dangerous and that it was not his intention to harm anyone. She added that he had done it to inspire fear in Britons who had disrespected Muslim women in the security crackdown after July 7. Questions are now being asked as to how Hussein managed to travel from London to Rome after the failed bombings. Both Britain and France are looking at ways to tighten border controls. French Transport Minister Dominique Perben said: “The fact that this man was able to leave London and cross France without being stopped means we have to rethink security on our frontiers.”
More about:

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article