There have been explosions or attempted explosions on London’s public transport network exactly two weeks after the bombings which killed 56 people. The almost simultaneous blasts were far smaller than the previous ones, and appear to have caused no fatalities. London police chief Ian Blair said that there had been one casualty, but it was not fatal. Two people have been arrested in the Whitehall area of central London, but it is unclear whether they are connected to the incidents.
A large part of the underground train network was suspended, but police quickly reassured the public that the emergency was not as serious as two weeks ago. Emergency services rushed to three underground stations in or near central London – Warren Street, Shepherd’s Bush and Oval – and to the site of a blast on a bus in the eastern district of Bethnal Green.
One witness said a fellow passenger on a train near Warren Street underground station – close to the scene of two of the July 7 bombs – had told him of a small explosion in a passenger’s rucksack.
Passengers evacuated from the station said they had seen a man running away from the scene. Armed police then entered University College Hospital, next to the underground station. A large area around the hospital was cordoned off and police searched young men in the vicinity. Medical staff spoke of a memo circulated shortly after the blast, telling them to look out for a possibly Asian man with wires protruding from his top.